Welcome & Introductions Thread

Hi Mitesh. I lead a team for our work on forest restoration, forest based livelihood and land governance. Very excited about being part of a fund being setup for private sector investments in Forestry and land use sectors. Over last 18 years we have designed and managed large scale projects across 7 states, and worked with some brilliant CSOs/NGOs and collectives in forest restoration, rural livelihoods, water conservation

Our work around land governance and women & land, I find very interesting.

Will be happy to connect

1 Like

Hi Jayyesh,

Sorry for the late response. I havenā€™t been using this platform in a while. Thank you for reaching out to me. Happy to connect in the coming days. [email protected] / +91 8097090069

Best,
Mitesh

1 Like

Hi,

I am Abhijit Anand Prabhudan. Formally, I work in the media industry and have experience of the e-commerce industry. By education, I am B.Com, MBA with several IT certifications. I am passionate about the ecological transition. Never had an opportunity to work in this sector. I am adept at following western efforts for ecological transition. I have informally curated info on social media, particularly in some international Facebook groups and through my twitter handle. Right now, I am closely following the phenomenon of ā€˜Doomer Optimismā€™. I would like to gain full time employment in greentech or efforts for ecological transition in India.

1 Like

Hello all,

Iā€™ve been a lurker here for a while :slight_smile: Iā€™m Praveen. Iā€™m a Bangalorean. My connection with GreenTech has been through RiptideIO. We built software for SMBs to make their buildings energy efficient. Though Iā€™m not with them any more, I continue to cherish the good work happening around the world to make it better. I love programming (in Python, Go), and look forward to contributing in my little way to green initiatives.

Iā€™m glad to be amidst company. @anandology from BangPypers & PyCon and @sameershisodia from motorcycling groups some ~15 yrs back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone,
My name is Santosh and I work for Intellecap (A for-profit that helps entrepreneurs and others working on social, economical, and environmental challenges) where I oversee its work on climate change and sustainable/regenerative agriculture. I started my journey in sustainability and climate change space almost 17-18 years back when I decided to pursue a Masterā€™s degree in Forest Management. Since then I have been working on different dimensions of climate change (indoor air pollution, climate finance, regenerative agriculture, clean energy etc) in Asia and Africa. In past, I have worked with GIZ, the World Bank, Tata Trusts, Dharmalifeā€¦ in different capacities.

In a personal capacity, I work with the students to create awareness about climate change dimensions and support authors/artists working on mainstreaming climate change discourses.
Looking forward to connecting with you all. I blog occasionally at (https:// www.santoshsingh.net) and tweet (https://twitter.com/singhsk5)

2 Likes

Hello. I just learnt about Rainmatter and I am excited to be a part of this forum. I founded Zemyna Foundation in 2019 to weave together spirituality, ecology and feminism.

Since over 3 years, I have been hosting circles for groups of women (in person and virtually), to plug in the forgotten gap of community building in the space of climate change. My one year fellowship with change.org and my efforts at social change (waste segregation projects, organic farmerā€™s market, community fridge) and my association with the Charter for Compassion led me to this work.

I am deeply passionate about my work of weaving communities and am also researching in this area through my PhD studies.

Happy to collaborate and open to funding opportunities.

Nnaumrata
(Namrata Arora)

2 Likes

Hey everyone, love what Rainmatter is building.

I moved to Canada in 2019 to do my MBA and post that, decided to dedicate most of my time- personally and professionally, to working on the climate change problems.

I learnt about this space by running a small podcast series interviewing founders of impact startups in Canada- https://www.theepic.ca/

I now write a weekly newsletter covering 3 impactful startups across the globe- https://notmyproblem.substack.com/?sort=top

I work with a US-based startup that is building tools to help people shop consciously- shop for products that are better for the planet, humans and society.

Wish to come back to India in the coming years and continue working in this space. Till then, looking forward to learning more about it through this forum :slight_smile:

Naman

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I am Anuja Apte, an engineer turned marketer/product manager. I lead the product marketing team at MathWorks, India and work as an advisor at Forest Street Consulting - a marketing & communications agency for the development sector.

I got introduced to Rainmatter Foundation through the work at Forest Street Consulting. I am joining this forum primarily to learn about climate related issues and potential solutions.

If I can facilitate easy access to MATLAB/Simulink along the way or share my insights on digital marketing, even better!

2 Likes

Sir,My name is Santosh kumar I belong to bihar Sir, I want to run sanitary pad campaign for women in Khagaria district of Bihar.but my foundation is short of funds. If your foundation supports then my foundation can do this work work. I hope that your foundation will support.

Foundation name- manoj and Santosh social aid foundation

Sanitary Pads Distribution and Mensuration Hygiene Awareness Program
Rs 16,40,000/-

Target 2000 beneficiaries Name-manoj and Santosh social aid foundation

A/c-41419979018

Sbin-0000114

Aasha karta hoo aap mere foundation ka haatha jarur pakadenge
Duration 3 months

1 Like

Iā€™m Priyanshu, who currently aspires to be bureaucrat.
My interest areas are technology, economics and education. As a citizen i just wish to make a mark by making peopleā€™s lives easier. And to me climate change will emerge as on of the biggest threats to humanity if not earth as a whole. So here i am just to do my bit by continuing the discourse and giving my 2 cents.

2 Likes

I am banker by profession and has 12 acre of ancestral land where i am planting eucalyptus tree along with my father support and going forwrd will make this agro forestry project truly organic. At present we have stopped planting rice on this land as rice consumes lot of water though eucalyptus also consumes lot water but it also absore CoĀ² from atmospher @ of 1 tonne of eCoĀ² by 50 trees and 15 tonne of CoĀ² consumed by 750 trees in one acre and yearly 150 tonne of Co2 removed in this way. Going forward i have plan to grow this agro forestry initiative to 100 acres. The challenge for small farmers to move to tree plantation is long period when they become renumerative i.e. 4 - 5 years and a small farmer cannot afford to plant tree due to lacknof finance as he has to runnhis house. Otherwise this is huge opportunity and way to absorbe CƒĀ², improve soil condition. Improve water table and enhancing livelyhood of farmers. In addition the tree plantation can be used for developing timber based industry and generating revenues through plant based products and organic agriculture. This will also help in reducing Nitrogen based area of crop and hence reducing govt subsidy burden too.

3 Likes

Hi RainMatterers,
My name is Aryaman Bansal and currently, I am working towards enabling healthcare access using drones in India. I got introduced to Rainmatter through the CRED-curious interview of @NithinKamath with Kunal Shah, and today joined the forum.

I have been reading about climate change and Green hydrogen and how Europe is taking the necessary steps in forming robust policy frameworks, govt./private funding initiatives, and promoting student competition in their respective majors about SDG (Sustainable Development Goals).

I want to share an experience I had while we were setting up a drone delivery medical hub in one of the remote districts of Arunachal Pradesh. For some reason (mostly an alcohol alternative), the people of this district have this unique and excessive thirst for soft drinks. Their per capita consumption of soft drinks is way way more than what we have in cities and as a consequence, their plastic pollution is just too much. Because of no recycling infrastructure and road connectivity issues, recycling is the last option they even think about, 1st option is burning and 2nd, throwing it in the river.

I would love to brainstorm on these issues and develop solutions which can have quick feedback and good impact metrics for Indian districts and villages. Love to get in touch with anybody.

Have a great week!
Aryaman Bansal

3 Likes

Iā€™m Ayush Shukla, and I work at Village Capital (an investments and accelerator firm for impact startups). Environment and sustainability have always been an area of interest for me and am trying to be more intentional about them moving forward. Working on a program, I was introduced to the field of climate adaptation, and seek to learn more and build mitigation and adaptation solutions.
Thank you for building this platform. Iā€™m open to volunteering a considerable amount of my time and efforts towards meaningful initiatives.

1 Like

To everyone whoā€™s new to Grove, welcome! :slight_smile: Iā€™m Tanmayi and Iā€™m a part of the team at Rainmatter Foundation. Taking this opportunity to run you through the idea and scope of Grove to help you make the most of the platform.

What is Grove?

Grove is a climate-focused public forum that aims to bridge the information gap in the areas of climate, ecology and environment. It is an initiative by the Rainmatter Foundation to bring together organisations and individuals, curious and passionate about climate action, to discover and support each other, build a public knowledge repository, initiate conversations, and be an evolving resource of climate solutions.

Why do you need to be on Grove?

Grove is your platform. Itā€™s your chance to share your work, vision, ideas and questions with a like-minded, climate-conscious community and benefit from mutual learning.

What goes on Grove?

There are multiple categories you can post under. These include but arenā€™t limited to Rewilding, Collaboration, Funding, Events, Updates, etc. Like the conversations, these categories are also evolving. Take the time to explore these categories and the conversations going on there, and feel free to contribute to the same.

A few pointers to get you started:

1. Introductions : Do introduce yourself and/or your organisation, your areas of interest, and what youā€™re looking for out of the forum.
  2. Event Information: Upcoming programs, events, talks, workshops, sessions fall under this category. Share relevant information such as the background, context, coordinates/ URL, registration link, creatives, etc. to make the content accessible to the audience.
  3. Published articles in popular media as well as scientific articles : Share latest articles and initiate conversations. the Millets v/s Wheat/Rice thread, for example.
  4. Questions: Grove envisions to be a Q&A platform where people and organisations can get answers to their questions from people with experience, eventually creating a valuable Q&A repository. Identify the relevant category and ask questions, or help answer them. Have the subsequent updates/ answers as a thread so they are visible in chronological order. i.e Reply to your original topic with updates. Do not start a new topic for every update.
  5. Products and services: Organisations and individuals offering services and products across different areas can add immense value in our fight against climate change. Add these to our Products and Services category to help spread the word.
  6. Green opportunities : Jobs, internships, volunteering opportunities go under this category. Please keep it periodically updated as your requirement is evolving/ fulfilled.

How do I start my first Grove thread?

Register yourself on Grove through a simple process and start with introductions! Register with your email ID and create an account, wait for an activation link from our team, pick a username and build your profile.

To get started with posting, say Hi, and let our community know what you do. Here are a few points to help you get started -

i) Headline: After you start a new topic, do add a catchy headline to indicate what the post is about. This is critical for the forum members to open a post to read and make use of it.

ii) Category: Make it easier for the audience to find you by picking the appropriate category.

iii) Words and Visuals: Create your Grove post. Provide accurate data, set context, and add a sentence or two on the relevance of the information you are posting. Screenshots, graphs, photos and videos are good to have in a post since these aid comprehension and serve as hooks to bring back reader attention, especially in long posts.

iv) Collaborations: Do use Grove as a platform to share information/news, post questions or ask and seek collaborations. These can be distinct threads.

v) Feedback: Do write to us ([email protected] and [email protected]) and let us know if you are facing specific obstacles in posting.

Make the most of Grove

i. Be a seasoned contributor!

Itā€™s simple really - the more you post and engage with the community, the more the trust builds, and the more perks you get on the platform. Are you ā€˜basicā€™, ā€˜memberā€™ or ā€˜regularā€™, only time (and effort will tell!).

ii. Weā€™re building a culture of using a forum around climate conversations. Please keep in mind -

• Engage with the community
  • Always keep the conversations kind
  • Forums are built on trust : Verify the information being shared
  • Reach out to the team in case of any queries or feedback.

iii. A glossary of common forum terms for the uninitiated:

• Admin.: Short for ā€œadministratorā€, someone who manages the forum
  • Archived: A old, unused topic that has been put in the #deprecated category
  • Badge: An achievement you earn by doing something.
  • Bump: Short for ā€˜bring up my postā€™, used to bring attention to a post to which there has been no reply with the intention to get it back to the top.
  • Tag: Tag someone (@username) so they get a notification on their profile.
  • Topic: Your topic is the main subject of discussion.
  • Thread: Each post under a topic is a thread.

We hope this helps you get started and that weā€™ll continue to see you as a part of these conversations. Please feel free to drop us a message if you have any other questions.

Cheers!
Tanmayi

1 Like

Hey @Aryaman and @Ayush, welcome to Grove! Please explore the different categories, and start a thread, ask questions, and initiate conversations under the category you find relevant. The community is here to help and build upon our collective knowledge.
If you have any specific project/ ideas in mind, please drop us a message on Grove or write to us at [email protected].

2 Likes

Hey everyone! Kiran this side from Atlantis.

I am currently heading the media and community for a climate-tech startup based out of Bengaluru. We are building an app which will incentivize its users if they complete climate-positive actions. Read more: www.atlantians.world

I would like to bring your attention further to an event we are co-organizing with ReFi India near Gokarna. We are planning for a zero carbon hackathon + workshops + concert for builders, investors and founders building at the intersection of climate change and blockchain. Read more: www.refiindia.com

We would entertain collaborations/sponsorships from anyone interested.

Looking forward to connecting with like-minded individuals who understand the harsh reality of climate change. My personal mission since last year has been to educate and raise awareness towards this global issue.

Feel free to reach out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Everyone!

Iā€™m Tanay, currently based out of Gurgaon. I found about Grove just recently and Iā€™m excited to be here!

I had my first brush with climate change back in 2020 when I was running an agriculture start-up in Assam. A region that is normally prone to excessive rainfall suffered from drought for almost 2 months. Thousands of farmers were affected. Back then, I thought we couldnā€™t do anything about it, but have to find ways to adapt to the coming change.

Currently, Iā€™m working with Absolute - a leading plant bio-science company in India. Here, I take care of B2B partnerships and I had led the development of a Carbon Credits Platform to enable gigaton level carbon sequestration at scale from Nature Based Solutions. Working in this space has given me a ray of hope that climate change can actually be limited when funding, expertise and regulations come together.

Iā€™m also a big believer in taking care of our health and eating healthy. Iā€™ve been trying (struggling) to go gluten and dairy free for quite some time. Hoping to get there soon!

Iā€™m eager to discuss and brainstorm more on pressing topics and how we can do our small (and meaningful) bits to solve these issues at scale.

4 Likes

Hello Folks! Greetings from the blue mountains!

I am Suhas Ramegowda. Once a typical corporate urbanite now turned rural mountain dweller. I represent indianyards.org, currently building thegoodgift.shop with help from rainmatter.org.

With indianyards.org, we are enabling women from rural & indigenous communities into the economic mainstream and with thegoodgift.shop, we are making gifting conscious.

We as a family have been through a transformational journey across the past decade. It all started with simply awareness and then deepened with reflections and practice. It took us from typical urban material living through minimalism, unschooling, off-the-grid living to now building an ecosystem here in the Nilgiris to address equity (both gender and community).

I am here to learn, collaborate and contribute. Happy to be part of this community. May this tribe grow!

1 Like