OASIS Summit | 14 September at BIC, Bangalore

The OASIS Summit is an event that bridges the gap between the social and tech sectors through FOSS (Free and Open-Source Software). The event is organised by an Open-Source Alliance for Social Innovation & Sustainability (OASIS), a network of organisations united by the vision that Free and Open-Source Software (FOSS) can empower citizen sector organisations and communities to create positive impact at scale. OASIS umbrella currently brings together 7 organisations, such as FOSS United, ASPIRe, Tech4Good Labs, Tech4Good Community, TinkerHub, Project Tech4Dev and GitHub. Post the event, the Alliance will welcome more like-minded organisations to join the movement.

When: 14 September, 2023 | 9 AM – 6 PM

Where: Bangalore International Centre

Who: A network of citizen sector organisations and technology organisations (committed to creating positive social impact) to come together on a shared platform to explore important ideas, meet new people and learn about the latest developments.

How: We are co-creating this event with a handful of key partners, so it’s curated by the network, for the network and not “owned” by any given organisation.

The Format: This event will include talks, workshops and opportunities to meet new people at the intersection of technology and society. Witness how open source can be a game-changer for NGOs and explore the compelling reasons why philanthropy should support FOSS innovation. Immerse yourself in discussions about the pivotal role of CSR in championing open-source solutions for grassroots empowerment.

But that’s not all – learn what might be the right solution for your organization through real-life stories of transformation. Discover how solutions like Glific, Jugalbandi, Metabase, Samaaja, Chitralekha, and many more have elevated the capabilities of NGOs to create lasting impact. Get ready for interactive demos that will transport you to the heart of these success stories, igniting your imagination and showcasing the potential of FOSS.

Our distinguished lineup of speakers and moderators includes Kailash Nadh, CTO at Zerodha and Co-Founder of FOSS United, Nidhi Bhasin, CEO at NASSCOM Foundation, Shilpa Kumar, Partner at Omidyar Network, Rushabh Mehta, Founder at Frappe, and others. Join us as we bring together open-source leaders from organizations such as Project Tech4Dev, Agami, EdelGive, Shikshalokam, Azim Premji Foundation, Reap Benefit, Microsoft, Google and many more.

Mark your calendar and be part of this dynamic convergence of social impact visionaries and tech enthusiasts. Don’t miss out – secure your spot and let the excitement begin!

OASIS Summit Registration Link

For queries, reach out to Polina Nezdiikovska: [email protected]

2 Likes

A bit of historical context and a note on this.

1 Like

I would love to join this, unfortunately, I live in Patna and coming from Patna to Bangalore is economically not viable for me at this point. If someone can sponsor my visit, I will run to attend without my slipper! <3

I do have a request. We have this crazy mission of making Quality Healthcare affordable for the bottom 90% of Indians - 1.2 billion Indians. However, there is no way we can do all, we have to be focused on our core with limited resources.

This mission will get a rocket boost if we make HMIS (Hospital Management Information System) available for 3.2 million smaller providers at an affordable price (In @knadh’s language dirt cheap prices :slight_smile:).

Recently, we came across an Opnesourced HMIS Bahmni. This is being initiated by ThoughtWorks. Initially, we were excited because the product offering is end-to-end including conversion of diagnosis into ICD-10 for insurance reporting purposes.

But our excitement took a setback when we talked to Gurpreet Luthra (One of the team members working on Bahmni). And here is the list of problems that make Bahmni unviable for India’s 3.2 million small facilities.

1. Bahmni is designed for desktop, and India’s small providers need mobile-based HMIS.
  2. Bahmni’s architecture is based on single-tenant (This means one instant can take only one facility). And this made the running cost of software INR 50K/month.
  3. When we tested the software many of the features were not relevant for small facilities.
  4. Also, the heart of Bhamni is not ABDM (Health Stack) - these are OpenMRS, Odoo etc.

Based on all our Math, on-ground discussion of 100+ small facilities, and outcome-driven use cases - we believe the ABDM-based HMIS can be made available at less than INR 50/month (up to 50 patient visits per day, and linking of 5000 health records monthly).

So, I have registered at FOSS United, can I connect with the team and explore if we can initiate a project on ABDM-based HMIS that could be suitable and affordable for the 3.2 million small providers?

Here is one of Jile Health’s user stories (The power of longitudinal Health Records and AI): https://www.sumanjha.com/post/how-chronic-disease-costs-could-be-prevented-a-jile-health-user-s-story

Such open-sourced systems would make Quality Heathcare affordable for everyone in the world - Longitudinal Health Records + AI (Affordable Quality Healthcare for everyone in the world).

I would love to talk to the team @tanmayi @knadh

3 Likes

@Suman_Jile :slightly_smiling_face: will talk to you soon.

1 Like

Super excited to meet and talk to you @Sagar_Gudekote and all of the names you shared with me on WA! :star_struck: :star_struck:

I am not going to sleep tonight, many thoughts will keep circulating in my mind. :smiley: And Thank You!

1 Like

Hi Suman, my name is Angshuman and I am one of the community leads of Bahmni. I think the topic is too contextual to be discussed here, and maybe best discussed on our discourse or slack. But here are few thoughts without knowing your context much.

• Bahmni wasn’t designed for a single instance to cater towards 3.2 million facilities. And unlikely other systems would be, unless that was the mandate right from the begining! Also, the operational context is too different from a state to another state or even sometimes between two centers. Solving the last mile is difficult, and there exists no single cookie-cutter-solution. Bahmni is generic solution and we advise implementers to create their specific distribution appropriate to their context.
  • Its true that Bahmni was originally designed for Hospitals but since then it has been adopted in varied contexts. There are several other plugins - for outreach, offline solutions. Also there is a new experimental project for mobile app for practitioners. The form factor plays a big role in UX, for example - you can’t really effectively show a flowsheet for TB drug administration and correlate with goals/conditions on mobile. btw, Bahmni online (web browser version) is mobile responsive - so you can minimize the contents through configuration and use it still. There are others who have used Bahmni as a platform and built contextual mobile apps.
  • Single tenant - yes. You can configure and setup for a single entity with multiple centers but we advise against using for different entities. While technically this is very doable - we think for us, the ROI of doing this isnt really worth it (without sponsorship) - and considering the GDPR as well as DPDP Bills (India), we think it will take us fair amount of work to solve this comprehensively. If you want to do this yourself and contribute back to community, we would be happy to share with you the details
  • Relevancy for small facilities - Bahmni is an extremely extensible and configurable solution. You should start from the basic distribution and configure/customize as per your needs.
  • Heart of Bahmni is EMR indeed. And so is the case of every HMIS or EMR/EHR. Bahmni is not specific for India alone. Bahmni provides a India specific distribution with ABDM plugins. Btw, we were probably the one of the first and also only FOSS solution to be ABDM compliant for all 3 milestones.

I am not sure about the economics, thats for you to devise but there is no such “ABDM based HMIS” - ABDM is a set of standards and protocols for many different domain layers. Bahmni provides ready integration, and flexibility to mapping/enabling to many of ABDM domains (as of now HFR, HPR, and HIE-CM).

This has already become quite lengthy. Would have loved to meet you at the OASIS Summit, but feel free to reach out to us over slack or discourse (talk.openmrs.org) or join our weekly community call.

1 Like

Hi @Suman_Jile, the statement above with regards to running the cost of software is incorrect. The statment I had made over zoom call last week was: “The cost of running Bahmni, is the cost of hardware, which is typically dependent on the number of concurrent users, and not the number of patients – which in our experience is typically 15K/month (not 50k!), for hospitals with 40+ concurrent users (which typically means 150-250 online users), on AWS infra”.

Bahmni has been running in small clinics on a single laptop, so the extent of hardware costs, is proportional to the load being put. See this for example, where in Cambodia Lake Clinic (deployed by Mekong), a doctor uses Bahmni installed on a laptop to a floating village. Implementations — Bahmni™.

IPLit is offering Bahmni for clinics at Rs 600/month, on cloud:

You are right about Bahmni being single-tenant, and making it multi-tenant, would reduce the per facility cost further. That is contingent on investment and is high on our roadmap. I agree that it won’t be Rs 50/- per facility per month anytime soon, as is your goal.

1 Like

Hi Angshuman, I am the same Suman who reached out to you on LinkedIn. Glad to connect here as well. :slight_smile:

Look forward to meeting you and discussing all these at the OASIS.

Apologies Gurpreet, As we discussed, it is difficult for smaller providers to create Clinical observations and notes at the time of talking to a patient and how AGI can solve that problem. It seems I made the same mistake while we were on the call. :slight_smile:

Also, I tested IPLit which is built on Bahmni and felt many features are not necessary for small providers that we are talking about.

Not 50 even if we can achieve 100 per facility, it will eliminate the affordability problem. By the way, are you also attending OASIS? Would love to meet you!

Here I wrote about my experience of attending OASIS thanks to Zerodha and @Sagar_Gudekote - we will covert the sponsored amount into a large economic value :heart:
And @knadh apologies for chasing you to the washroom :pray:

4 Likes

Okay, so here is another update: We have deployed the ABDM-enabled HMIS in the Sandbox using Bahmni, and the clarity of thoughts we have after seeing how this small software is going to change the fundamental ways of healthcare delivery for the 1.2 billion Indians is unmeasurable.

If anyone would like to test do let me know - you can test M1 (ABHA creation part and OPD registration through ABHA, it is pure magic) thanks again @Sagar_Gudekote :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is another update: Successful deployment in Sandbox of HMIS with Jile Health’s HIP and HIU. Frankly, there is still tons of work but as we have been exploring Bahmni - our work must have been shorted by at least by 6 months.

In fact, I need to thank the kind Bahmni team who has been helping us in each step of the deployment

Would love to answer your queries related to the HMIS (Health Management Information Systems) of M1 and M2