Recommended Books & Publications

(Starting a section to share relevant, recommended reads and books. Do share links but pls avoid affiliate ones pls)

Here’s one I finished recently that I just loved - I think we’d all have fallen in love with biology, understood it from multiple povs and possibly done things a little differently in whatever, had we been exposed to something like this in our childhood. He traverses a year and the various seasons, observing a sq m in Tennessee and takes you into an easy exploration of biology, nature, philosophy and complexity/intersectionality way beyond the grasp of human capability.

The Forest Unseen, by David Haskell

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

I would like to add ‘Dirt to Soil by Gabe Brown’ to this list. I like the audiobook version even better which is narrated by Gabe himself.

Dirt to Soil: One Family’s Journey Into Regenerative Agriculture

3 Likes

Thank you for creating this thread :raised_hands: ! I’m looking forward to the updates here from other members of the Grove platform. :grin:

Let me add to the list:

The two books that opened my eyes to the crisis we are facing are these two:

“The Uninhabitable Earth”

“The Sixth Extinction”

I used to be a fan of fiction, mainly reading books from the sci-fi, horror, and fantasy genres. The science discussed in the above two books was more horrifying than any fantasies that any author could come up with. If I had to inform a layperson about the climate and biodiversity crisis we are facing, I would recommend they read the above two books.

After reading the above, the question that followed was, “What can I do to stop this crisis?” I found these two books very useful:

“How to Avoid a Climate Disaster”

How to Avoid a Climate Disaster: The Solutions We Have and the Breakthroughs We Need by Bill Gates | Goodreads

“Drawdown”

Drawdown: The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reverse Global Warming by Paul Hawken | Goodreads

They cover a wide range of solutions, their impacts, and the challenges of implementing them.

Since then, my naive outlook has changed. While I wouldn’t call myself a doomer, I do realize that things are much worse than expected and getting worse faster than anticipated. And unfortunately, we aren’t taking action on the scale required. This is why I’ve added the following books to my reading list:

“Hospicing Modernity”

Hospicing Modernity: Facing Humanity's Wrongs and the Implications for Social Activism by Vanessa Machado De Oliveira | Goodreads

“A Small Farm Future”

A Small Farm Future: Making the Case for a Society Built Around Local Economies, Self-Provisioning, Agricultural Diversity, and a Shared Earth by Chris Smaje | Goodreads

One book I am currently reading to understand why we have come to be in this crisis is:

“The Moral Animal”

The Moral Animal: Why We Are the Way We Are - The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology by Robert Wright | Goodreads

morality

This single quote from the book alone explains the contrasting nature of mankind - how benevolent we are in our thoughts, yet so malevolent through our actions and inactions.

I would love it if we could also have discussions about the books and their application/relevance to our lives and work here. Or perhaps we can create a different thread to discuss specific books and provide a link to it here?

2 Likes

Small farmers have the utmost importance in Indian agriculture and they account for 86% of total farmers (2015 – 2016 Agriculture census) in India.

To make farming efficient , Sustainable and Productive by bringing the latest technologies , institutional Innovation like FPO is required for the same.

I would recommend a book by Sanjiv Phansalkar & Avinash Paranjape for those who are interested to learn about the “FPOs” which is a practical guide for anyone who wants to help/guide small farmers in India.

Village Swaraj by Mahatma Gandhi . Great insights on Sustainable Village Economics

1 Like

Read this recently - quite fascinating in the wide variety of things the author was able to tie together in a single article on Orcas behaving unusually!

A captivating book that compelled me to shift my attention away from my personal worldview and immerse myself in the intricate world of animals—their unique perspectives, experiences, and environments, known as their “umwelt.”

4 Likes

Book for Seed Savers [Processing:

IMG_20240226_190254_614.jpg…]()

Panchayat Raj by M.K.Gandhi