Moonshine Meads

We at the office yesterday did a mead tasting session with Nitin from Moonshine Meads.

I heard about Meads first time last week as well.

Mead (/miːd/) is an alcoholic beverage made by fermenting honey mixed with water, and sometimes with added ingredients such as fruits, spices, grains, or hops.[1][2][3] The alcoholic content ranges from about 3.5% ABV[4] to more than 20%. The defining characteristic of mead is that the majority of the beverage’s fermentable sugar is derived from honey.[5] It may be still, carbonated, or naturally sparkling; dry, semi-sweet, or sweet.[6]

The term honey wine is sometimes used as a synonym for mead,[7][8] although wine is typically defined to be the product of fermented grapes or certain other fruits,[9] and some cultures have honey wines that are distinct from mead.

And…

The earliest surviving written record of mead is possibly the soma mentioned in the hymns of the Rigveda ,[26] one of the sacred books of the historical Vedic religion and (later) Hinduism dated around 1700–1100 BCE.

The meads were terrific, and we are evaluating Moonshine meads for an investment. My favourites were Guava Chilli, Coffee, and Pineapple.

image (42)

Anyways, the reason I am sharing here is that Nitin mentioned a bunch of very interesting things.

The alcohol in Meads comes from Honey and not Grapes, Barley, Rice etc. Meads doing well could mean more beekeepers & lesser vineyards, which are usually OD’d with fertilizer.
They buy honey at a much higher price. They can afford to do so because they can sell the meads at over Rs 150 a pint.

I will share this link with Nitin from Moonshine and get him to share more details.

7 Likes

So Nitin shared this

Majority of the honey is mulitfloral which we get from aggregators is between 150-160 per kg. That’s typically sold by bee keeper/farmers at 70-90 per kg. We are now trying to see how we can do a win-win by directly sourcing at 100-110ish. The rates fluctuate a lot and are a function of international rates. We have to do spot purchases amd only then we and the farmer/bee keeper both stand to gain since there is no middle man margins. All this will aid the Moonshine brand.
Further, forest honey is usually at about 400ish a kg. But some honey can hit 1000+ also depending on location and the type of bee. This type of honey is something we want to push using our Māti brand - 12% abv still meads in 750ml bottles.

Thanks Nithin. Just returned to Pune today and met our resident bee keeper Akshay to further weight in on this. Apparently the rates as of today to break even on mustard honey is 100/kg. However there is a big concern on the domestic rates. Essentially, the honey which was typically exported to the US and Europe is not happening this time because of macro economic factors. This is has started to drive the domestic prices to below 100/- which is why many bee keepers are taking loans to simply survive.

1 Like

Had posted a note in LinkedIn on meads & sustainability

2 Likes