Forced into construction jobs, migrants must now contend with climate change

As climate change makes extreme weather events more frequent, construction workers will be among the most vulnerable to its impact. Rising temperatures are already affecting their health, resulting in loss of work days and wages.

Annual mean temperatures in India have risen by 2°C since the late 19th century and are projected to rise by a further 1.5-2°C by 2030. In 50 years, 1.2 billion people in India will live in areas as hot as the Sahara, if greenhouse gas emissions keep rising.

McKinsey warns that as a consequence, construction work could become too risky by 2030. The periods when outdoor work is unsafe will increase by 15% by 2030, compared to current levels, the consultancy adds.

Free to read.

Forced into construction jobs, migrants must now contend with climate change

+1 Can we think of some solutions?

@sameershisodia Can we create a topic for problems, I have read a few interesting problems as well, and having a collection of under one topic will allow members easy to discover. I personally would like to think about some problems.

Aren’t most environmental related matters in the problem space already?

Agree and disagree. On this forum, we do non-problem activities as well. Many a time when I like a problem statement, I usually Bookmark it for the weekend. Hence you are right but my context was different. :slight_smile:

I think having a dedicated topic for problems will be helpful for folks like me.