Any ideas/experiences on rotating composters which are not plastic?

Hi all,

Been composting in clay matkas on my terrace for years now, and recently started even making leaf mould on my terrace since the last year and got a beautiful harvest of that too.

Our leaf mould setup

First harvest of our leaf mould!

My regular compost setup is stacked clay pots (Stack in pairs of two, and have two such setups).

Some observations on the composts:

1. In the regular compost, rotating once in a while would help in slightly making the process faster. We are almost always out of space in all of our matkas.
  2. In the leaf mould setup, our simple design yielded great compost, however the leaves at the very bottom, and those on the edges (side, top) were not composted fully : the below ones due to the weight and lack of aeration I think, and the top ones because of too much aeration and lack of moisture.

So we are thinking to build a rotating composter for our home compost, to have a uniform and a bit faster compost. Some example images below of rotating composters:

We would like to make a non plastic composter which can rotate.
I would love to first try clay as that’s the best material for composting anything, but it would be a bit heavy and a bit risky of breaking to rotate, but have folks tried it?
Metal could be next. Not sure how over it would react with the wet waste/leaves over time (many years?).
Any other materials ? Wooden barrels?

Do folks have any experience/ideas on this?
Any better composting setups for wetwaste/leaf mould among the community for home/terrace setup which are not plastic?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A DIY idea would be to look for junked washing machine drums which are stainless steel. Two of them with a stand ?

The size would be quite big and occupy a lot of space.

1 Like