Analysis of emissions between ICE and EV scooters

Wanted to add another interesting data point, from the LCA report of the 1st Generation Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (Hydrogen powered):

Abbreviations:
GV = Gasoline Vehicle
HV = Hybrid Vehicle
NG = Natural Gas i.e. H2 produced from Natural Gas
RE = Renewable source of H2

The Crossover point for the Mirai in Japan:

The crossover point for the Mirai in EU:

The sources for Hydrogen in Japan and EU along with the Well to Tank emissions:

The H2 Fuel Cell Mirai seems to have a much lower crossover point in kms than the Li-battery electric vehicles (BEV). This however again depends on the cleanliness of the supply of H2 itself much like the source of power for the BEVs.

Note: Toyota doesn’t give out the absolute numbers for emissions, only normalised numbers, where the Gasoline Vehicle’s emissions are normalised to 1000 tons equivalent of CO2 and the HV, Mirai compared to that. Hence, it is not possible to do a quantitive comparison between any other manufacturer and Toyota.
The only number we can compare directly is the break-even/crossover point since the units are in kms.

Reference:

1 Like

Slightly off topic, but the EV revolution has shown a market potential which otherwise may have not been explored, People today are working on Aluminium air batteries, Sodium Batteries.
https://iocl.com/MediaDetails/56676

Let’s take the example of Aluminium air battery ( Currently i am not aware of all the materials that go in here) but Aluminium is widely used from food packaging to Engines. If this becomes mainstream we may have better use of Aluminium that’s already mined and hopefully Aluminium used in MLPs and Food packaging will be used for batteries

1 Like

@Yeshvanth_suresh - Karnataka has already met its goal of obtaining 50% from renewable sources - ‘Karnataka crossed 2030 renewable energy generation target set by PM in 2021 itself’- The New Indian Express

3 Likes

@Uthara thanks for sharing this piece of information. Yes, Karnataka as a province has a unique grid mix. While considering a vehicle’s lifetime in India, the reference and assumptions have taken into consideration how it would typically work out for an EV to be used throughout the country. However, when performed for states like Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, and Maharashtra, this study could be extremely green.

Sources of renewable energy:

Tamil nadu

Gujarat

1 Like

Way off topic, but what an amazing website Tamil Nadu!
One of the nicest government websites that I have seen globally.

never seen a sarkari website with a personnel contact on the homepage! :exploding_head:

Hi Nithin,
Even without including the manufacturing emissions, the results are somewhat similar.Please refer this LinkedIn article: Are EVs really emission free?

Nice thread - I have been using an EV India for more than 6 months, here’s my experience on the same: 6 months of owning an EV in India 🇮🇳 - by Saket Mehrotra

1 Like

@NithinKamath Thank you for your inquiry. Sharing a doc/image briefly explaining how Ather has accomplished the same over the years.

6 Likes

Best of luck with everything @tarunsmehta

4 Likes

Thanks @tarunsmehta for sharing this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This blog covers a lot of the other questions around EVs. Very nice read. ^

1 Like

Adding to discussion here, when trying to understand emissions of EVs it should not be limited to just the vehicle (as is general focus in this thread), but also the manufacturing processes, larger supply chain and people involved. Which are increasingly difficult to quantify in processes involved in deeper branches of the extended ecosystem of making an EV.

Sustainability spec sheet that compliments a technical spec sheet might be the best way to highlight some of these sustainable efforts put into making the EV (which are often not highlighted enough), and hence the emissions that are being reduced in the larger ecosystem. It is just as important to measure them, so they too can be improved. Being consumer facing, EV companies could help the ecosystem become better faster.

With right feedback loops, customers can also help pick the branches of the ecosystem they would like to understand the sustainability of with increasing details overtime. Encourages the industry to openly compete on sustainability efforts identified.

I wrote about this in more detail in my blog ‘EV startups are likely 10x more sustainable already’. P.s. it features @tarunsmehta. :smiley:

1 Like

When you start to drill into the facts, electric motoring doesn’t seem to be quite the environmental panacea it is claimed to be.

1 Like
1 Like