Community Ownership and Restoration on Commons/grasslands

How do we replicate this? The payoffs are huge - water, community revenue from the forest, managed/controlled grazing for more than the 11 villages involved and the deep satisfaction and pride that’s developed around this.

100s of these could be done across the country, and they’re an investment. But the govt, or by us as individuals. How do we enable more?

9 Likes

We should champion these examples and help them build a community. We should stand behind these kind of projets steadfast and help them whatever they need. However, I always note - when starting a revolution - start with the convinced rather than to be convinced. So with the growth of the community, we will encounter communities needing support to replicate these ideas.

Let us keep our eyes open for other communities doing this right now or communities that want to take this up. And if we come across them in our research, we should definitely reach out and offer unconditional support. Thoughts?

1 Like

Have you met Babloo and his team at Timbaktu, @sameershisodia? Thanks

Yes, was there a few days ago. They’re doing amazing work there. Lots of learnings to try and take elsewhere.

I want to replicate this model in Palghar, Maharashtra. Have connected with Timbaktu Collective for details. Want to be ready before June 2021, so we can take advantage of the monsoons. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Good luck @sarayu.kamat . Just a humble word: with the best copying expertise, replicating nature based models elsewhere, even 20 kms away is almost impossible. So take the framework in the right spirit, but then innovate yourself. Thanks

Thank you so much. Approaching with an open mind. So much to learn. All inputs are welcome

Warm regards
Sarayu

1 Like

No model works exactly in a different context or place, but there are common learnings and approaches. This is how problem solving can be scaled. We are trying to dig up details. Broadly, multiple villages around formed a tree growers’ co-op, created s managed grazing and forest produce harvesting plan and have been running it with the distric collector in the loop. You can start with talking to the neighbouring panchayats and getting the revenue land maps and boundaries.

Thanks so much, Sameer. Good starting point. I have connected with Timbaktu Collective. Their Kaplavalli project is extremely impressive with 9000 acres restored. Your point on managing grazing and forest produce is key.
I feel good in this space - very supportive.
In gratitude.

1 Like

Would you have Babloo’s contact number. I am keen on getting details at grass root level.

Warm regards
Sarayu

1 Like

Here’s another example of community restored grasslands. It would be amazing to see this grow everywhere.

1 Like

Thanks Sameer, I just came into the forum to post this :slight_smile:

1 Like